Walks in our area
We are part of several walks here including The Monarchs Way, The Butcombe Trail and The Mendip Ring.
Walks from our door step or a very short car journey, take a look at www.mendiphillsaonb.org.uk
Mountain biking on the Mendips. The Mendip Hills Mountain Bike Route and Blackdown Hills.
The Strawberry Line stretches 10 miles to Yatton Station. A 20 mins car journey to start at Cheddar. www.sustrans.org.uk/find-a-route-on-the-national-cycle-network/strawberry-line
Bristol-Bath Cycle Path, go either way from Bitton Railway (cafe, free parking) or The Bird in Hand Pub, Saltford, both a 25 mins drive. www.sustrans.org.uk/find-a-route-on-the-national-cycle-network/bristol-and-bath-railway-path/
An extremely popular activity here at Nettwood – Available for family/friend groups for 10 or more children.
Steve, Patrick and their team will show the children a few basic skills and learn about their environment whilst having fun. Activities can include building campfires, toasting marshmallows, den building, woodcraft and can be tailored to your wishes depending on the age of your child.
Both are trained Forest School leaders working with schools in our area.
The whole team are DBS cleared and first aid qualified.
For more information on this fun activity contact Steve on 01761 220066 or visit www.chewsgreenman.com
A fun way to explore and take in some places of interest. Why not download a Wells or Cheddar treasure trail map before your stay: www.treasuretrails.co.uk
Suitable for groups of friends or families. Accessible trails of about 2.5 miles taking approximately 2 hours to complete.
Step out of your door onto one of the Mendips’ many footpaths. Local walks can be found on Mendip Hills AONB website www.mendiphillsaonb.org.uk
Every Imaginable Outdoor Activity can be found locally. These include…
- Quad-bike riding
- Horse riding
- Birds of prey walks
Take a look at the links at the bottom of the page.
Some of the activities enjoyed by many of our guests:
- Walking in our own woods and East Harptree Wood with its historic chimney
- Children can play and have real adventures in the woods
- Fishing and Sailing on Chew Valley Lake and Blagdon Lake
- Cycling is very popular on the Mendips
- Wildlife everywhere, birds of prey, badgers. If you’re up early you may spot a deer!
Out & About
Places to Visit
- Cheddar visit the famous caves and sample the cheeses
- Wookey Hole great family day out, play areas, caves and circus
- Wells the smallest ity in England, visit its splendid Cathedral. Mendip market for your local produce, various good eateries
- Glastonbury visit the tor
- Bristol Brunel’s famous Suspension Bridge, The SS Great Britain, lots of historic pubs and sites. Balloon Fiesta every August, Harbourside area, Cabot Circus Shopping Centre
- Bath Beautiful Roman City, take an open top bus or experience one of the ghost or comedy walks. Famous for its Roman Baths roof top spa and Royal Crescent
- Weston-super-Mare seaside resort with newly rebuilt Pier
- Bath & West Show Ground for its agricultural and numerous other shows through out the year
There are a vast array of quality country pubs and restaurants in our area, too many to mention but here are a little selection of some local eateries…
- The Castle Of Comfort 1 mile up the hill, great local pub especially for steaks, child friendly garden, dogs welcome in the bar and garden
- The Waldegrave – newly refurbished – pub grub and restaurant style food situated in the village 1.6 mile down hill, child friendly garden, dogs welcome
- Pony & Trap having been awarded a Michelin Star, near Chew Magna
- Chew Magna for ‘The Bear and Swan’ and ‘The Pelican’
- Chew Valley Lake’s ‘Salt and Malt’ tea room, fish cafe and takeaway in a beautiful Lakeside setting
- The Ring Of Bells in Compton Martin, a 5 – 10 mins drive
- Wells Ask (pizza, pasta), Goodfellows, numerous good quality eateries
- Village Shop in East Harptree local for: papers; bread; milk; your basic essentials
- Village Shop West Harptree everything you probably would need
- Farm Shop and tea rooms at Bishop Sutton
- Co-op Chew Magna
- Wells (6 miles) has supermarkets (Tesco, Waitrose, Lidl) and restaurants
- There are various takeaways in Wells and Cheddar (details on-site)